I Completed a Daily Wardrobe Audit for a Year

Completing a wardrobe audit is something I have wanted to do for a while, but I was never sure how to go about it - without creating some hectic and confusing spreadsheet. That was until I discovered the app YourCloset, which made my outfit tracking process a LOT easier.


 How did I successfully complete my wardrobe audit?

All I had to do was take photos of each item of clothing, process them into the app and then I could mix and match my outfits forever! The layout of it reminds me of the previously wonderful Polyvore, where you could visually create outfits without putting them on. Of the 120 ish items of clothing I own, I've been able to make nearly 600 outfits (which is certainly more than I will ever wear in a year, but the minimalist side of my brain hasn't quite reached tackling the wardrobe in full potential yet.)

So, using the calendar tracking feature of the app, I logged every outfit I wore for the entire of 2020. This means that the app can grab a load of statistics from that data: most worn outfits, most worn items, least worn outfits, least worn items, outfits never logged in calendar etc... 

This is highly satisfying and makes my wardrobe a walking database and for some reason more of a fun challenge than just picking what to wear everyday. If I was getting bored of what I was wearing, I just needed to go to the 'least worn items' section and pick a piece I haven't worn in a while and start the outfit building from there. Not only did this encourage me to wear more of my wardrobe, it also reminded me that there is more to my wardrobe than my beloved black turtleneck or easy pair of jeans - I got more creative and experimental with different combinations of clothing - meaning I wore something new a LOT of the time (without buying an excessive amount of clothing.)

Having your clothes all laid out in a visual way can help you to identify when you have too many of something. Creating a wardrobe audit like this is a simple way to keep on top of your clothing. This app quantifies it, so for example, I have 18 jumpers (which I agree is excessive) and that is something I can therefore focus on when deciding to downsize what I own.

Related post: 5 Most Worn Wardrobe Staples - Basic Tops



My Most Worn Items of Clothing

 

Though some of these stats are from previous years (where I back logged), it's clear that a good basic will ALWAYS been worn the most, at least for me. Waterproof puffer coat, blue jeans, basic black turtleneck, basic fleece and underlayer t-shirts. The staples of my wardrobe! Also this demonstrates that 90% of British weather is mild and requires a bit of layering - hence why most of my wardrobe accomodates for that (in addition to me moving to Leeds for university where it can be colder than the Midlands.)

 

 My Least Worn Items of Clothing

A lot of these items are relatively new to my wardrobe, hence why they have been worn the least. I generally use this feature to figure out which items need to be declutered from my wardrobe (many have been here and then passed on to others). It is generally my 'fancier' clothing items that ended up here this year - simply because there was no where fancy to go! Oh 2020, the year of casual, comfy clothing. Also a lot of these pieces I reserve for holidays abroad where the temperature reaches higher than 23 degrees celcius and less layers of clothing are required. So for many of these, I intend to keep them until next Summer, where I can hopefully test if I actually wear them or not. 

I'm pretty chuffed to say that I have worn all but 1 of my wardrobe at least once, with some of the least worn being worn 5 or 6 times (which in the grand scheme of things is not too bad, they are getting worn!)


What have I learned?

Tracking my outfits everyday has shown to me what I really like wearing, and has encouraged me to experiment with different pieces matched together than I would have originally. It has also been a useful tool in downsizing my wardrobe, showing very clearly what I don't wear and making it obvious that I have no evidence to suggest I need them - making the decluttering process a lot easier. 

It has also shown me that getting dressed in the morning doesn't need to take a long time. Once you have a formula that works, grabbing clothes to throw on every day and enjoying what you wear as a result can be done without stress. this app has helped me make clothing decisions quickly, therefore giving me more time to do other more important things - like getting on with my day, spending more time with God, hanging out with friends and family.

I don't have all of my clothes recorded on here e.g. Walking boots, hiking clothes, sports bras, individual black leggings. I guess I should maybe put those on the app, but they would clog up the 'least worn' with things that are very activity specific, plus I know I wear leggings and sportswear pretty regularly - I'm not trying to prove to myself that I don't wear them.

I'm going to continue to track my outfits into 2021, I find it really useful in helping me to make the most out of my wardrobe and not wearing the same outfit again and again. It also has helped in preventing me from holding onto pieces that I clearly do not love anymore. 

Have you tried completing a wardrobe audit before?

Related post: 3 Tips to Effortlessly Declutter Your Closet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Places to Buy Second Hand Clothes Online

Zero Waste Shaving - Why Safety Razors Aren't That Scary

Why I Stopped Wearing Makeup